Museum and Book Prints

This post from a Word Press blog - March 10, 2018


Since my last post I've been printing 13x19 b&w ink jets from a few random negatives of girls but primarily from my 3 trips to England and Europe - 1987, '89 and '90. These will be for the DIA if they will have them. Gifted of course so why wouldn't they.
I am also designing another Blurb book in one of their editing platforms called Bookwright. It's quite different from their other one called Booksmart which I've used for years for other books. Those books took shape as 8x10s, 7x7s and 6x9s. This one, called LONDON, LIVERPOOL and EUROPE, is in magazine format - 8.5x11 as was a previous one in Bookwright called FACTORY, published just a couple months ago.
Anyway,  I said in my previous post that I switched completely back to OEM Canon inks to see if I could print without the blues and magentas in b&w prints. Well I couldn't! That is, not the usual way.

Cont'd 4/3/2018 * So far as of this date I've printed over 40 UK and Europe negs on 13x19 paper. I've settled on OEM for all colors and blacks (2) and gray (1). I'm primarily using the pigment black to print these pics. The printer mixes in the other colors and the one black and the one gray by default. The resultant print looks a bit harsh and xeroxy but there are absolutely no RGBCMY colors apparent. The grays and shadow areas get a bit depressed but as in the darkroom I can use the dodge, burn, contrast, brightness controls in PSE to adjust the tones. Also, printing on matte paper isn't ideal if the result wished for is snappy and brilliant blacks.
The main thing about OEM inks is the cost. I've buying the OEM black pigment carts on ebay at discounts of 20-30%. Not using as much of the other inks but am considering using the 3rd party color inks from 4Inkjets when comes time to replace. I still have a set of OEM inks to go through first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the good work russ👍

Anonymous said...

It's me, Sophia sent you a message on IG