Update: Initial Thoughts and Plans for Exhibit

Agreed on title - "A Working Life: Detroit Photographs by Russ Marshall, 1958 - 2008". Looks like the main focus will be my labor, factory, industrial stuff. Nancy is thinking about a big grid with 20-30 photographs of the worker portraits. Maybe a few of the 16x20 portraits along side. There are a handful of 16x20s of the Rouge Plant that will probably fill out the wall.

The European/UK shots will find a home in the smaller gallery room adjacent to the main room. The music and night shots will be grouped. I suggested, sort of, a set of women musicians, singers and workers could work seeing as how the year 2020 will be the 100th year anniversary of the vote to admit the women's vote in elections. May not make any sense at all.

In the meantime I'm printing shots Nancy selected from Detroit Doc that she thought might be considered for either the exhibit or the exhibit book/catalog. Also have to dig up some tear sheets and get a few of my books together to take down at the end of the month.

I haven't told anyone about the exhibit next year in July except Nancy O., Pat R. and Penny M. I don't think anyone reads this blog so I'm fairly certain the secret is safe until I let it out close to the opening. 


                                                       May Day at the Reichstag, W. Berlin   5-1-1990

1 comment:

Nancy Barr - DIA said...

Russ - thanks for posting - I'm excited to work with you again and am enjoying delving deeper into your archive! Nancy