THE KIBITZER TAVERN - 1967

This old city tavern in the heart of Detroit is long gone. I think I was in the place maybe twice. Brightly lit, smokey, individuals and couples sitting at tables while mostly men were bellied up to the bar. Maybe a pool table at the rear of the room, a jukebox at low volume and cigarette vending machines just inside the front entrance. The street is Cass Ave. near Mack Ave. which is north a couple miles of downtown Detroit. I was employed nearby and frequently walked these streets looking for something interesting to shoot. I don't believe I ever printed this shot until just a few years ago while scouring old proof sheets (again) for something interesting to print that perhaps I'd overlooked. I was in the process of hopefully finding several old negatives I'd made around the city going back to the late 1950s when I first began taking pictures. I knew early on the importance of dating and cataloging.     

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, great to find this picture!

This was my family's place, first Ga zie Milincevich, then Anna Milincevich, my grandmother owned it.
Funny how this picture was taken in the year I was born, 1967. We used to live in the Wayne Court next door. My mother remarried and we moved to Europe in April 1973, but when we returned in '75/'76, it looked exactly the same. I remember sitting in the front left window eating some lemon pie... Or grabbing a pop and a bag of Lays potato chips, only to be told to go play outside, usually ending up across the street at Eddie's drugstore reading comics. Good times!
Thank you for posting this picture, brought back a lot of good memories. :)